We are a multiracial grassroots organization that works with low-income and working class urban, rural, and indigenous communities to fight environmental racism and injustice and build a clean, healthy and just future for all. We mobilize community power to win victories that change government and corporate policies and practices to protect health and to promote environmental, social and economic justice.
We mobilize community power to win victories that change government and corporate policies and practices to protect health and to promote environmental, social and economic justice.
Support our work today!
Bayview Hunters Point and Treasure Island, San Francisco, CA:
EPA letter reveals Navy’s downplay of radioactive soil in SF’s Bayview
- April 12th 2018: GREENACTION ON KQED NEWS: Hunters Point Shipyard Cleanup Called into Question LISTEN NOW
- CLICK HERE to see Greenaction’s petition to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) to revoke Tetra Tech’s license and all the supporting documentation.
- 4/11/18 PRESS RELEASE Greenaction and Bayview Hunters Point Residents to Challenge US Navy about Explosive New Revelations of Fraud by Tetra Tech at Hunters Point Superfund Site and Ongoing Cover-up of the Truth by Government Agencies.
- Bayview Hunters Point Environmental Justice Task Force – Identifying Violations Affecting Neighborhoods (IVAN)
- Media Coverage and Press Releases
- Read fact sheets on Rising Sea Levels/Climate Change and Bayview Hunters Point High Vulnerability to Pollution
- Greenaction & Golden Gate University Law School Environmental Law and Justice Clinic Report on Under-Regulated Concrete Plants
Laytonville, CA: Greenaction supports Wailaki & Cahto tribal members fighting for relocation from toxic-contaminated reservation.
LISTEN to learn more about the preliminary results for Laytonville’s community health study that shows “people in Laytonville are 5x more likely to have cancer there than residents elsewhere in California”
SEE photos and videos of Laytonville Community. (Coming Soon!)
Greenaction and El Pueblo of Kettleman City Demand State Agencies Comply with Civil Rights Settlement
On March 1st Greenaction & El Pueblo of Kettleman City Challenged State Agencies for Major Violation of Title VI Civil Rights Settlement.
To read complaint CLICK HERE.
CLICK HERE to read the “Notice of Non-Compliance” letter to CalEPA and Department of Toxic Substances Control for violating the Settlement and the Law
CLICK HERE to read the Title VI Civil Rights settlement signed in August 2016 by Greenaction, El Pueblo, Cal EPA and DTSC.
Ward Valley, CA: Greenaction Joins Native Nations to Celebrate Victory and 20th Anniversary of 113 Day Occupation of Proposed Nuclear Waste Dump Site. Click here to see photos.
March 1st, 2018: New blog post!!
On February 12th Niria Garcia joined the Greenaction team as the new Community Organizer and Youth Program Coordinator! To read her blog post click on the link below
March 15th, 2018
March 12th, 2018: BRAWLEY, CA
Imperial Valley Residents, Comite Civico del Valle & Greenaction demand full cleanup of Chevron’s former PureGro toxic site in Brawley, CA.
Click here to read Greenaction for Health and Environmental Justice comments to DTSC critiquing their inadequate “cleanup” plan.
Happy International Women’s Day!
We honor the women in the Environmental Justice Movement who fight with all of their hearts to protect the future of the young ones.
May women continue to rise in their power and may we all protect the path of the young ones so that they too may rise as powerful agents of change!
#InternationalWomensDay #WomenLeaders #JusticeLeague
February 26th, 2018: WARD VALLEY, CA
On February 24th Greenaction Joined the Fort Mojave Indian Tribe and other Native Nations & Allies to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the occupation and victory that saved Ward Valley, the desert tortoise, sacred sites and the Colorado River from a proposed nuclear waste dump. CLICK HERE to see more pictures.
February 24th, 2018: Come to Ward Valley and join the Fort Mojave Indian Tribe, other Native Nations, Greenaction and allies as we celebrate the 113 day occupation that defeated plans for a nuclear waste dump! See the flyer
February 12th, 2018: Check out a SF Chronicle opinion piece co-authored by Greenaction’s newest board member Marie Harrison on the recent Hunters Point Shipyard Superfund site scandal – “Trying to build a future on toxic ground”
BAYVIEW HUNTERS POINT
January 31st, 2018: Greenaction & Community Press Conference on the Hunters Point Superfund Site Fraud and Coverup – 5 PM – 451 Galvez Street, Bayview Hunters Point, San Francisco – Press Advisory
Recent media covering the Radioactive & Toxic Scandal at Hunters Point Shipyard Superfund Site:
January 26th, 2018: BREAKING NEWS!!!
Federal government now admits almost half of toxic cleanup at the shipyard is questionable or faked! Click here to read article
If you are in the Bay Area, next Wednesday January 31st please join Greenaction and residents at the Navy “Community Meeting and Open House” to challenge government agencies and Lennar/Five Points over the fraudulent clean up. The meeting is at 451 Galvez Avenue, SF and starts at 5:30. Greenaction will be there at 5 pm to give out the truth to people attending. Join us for health and justice!
January 25th, 2018: March to End Gentrification in the Mission! Click Here for flier.
January 18th, 2018: BREAKING NEWS!!! Navy Finds More Evidence of ‘Potential Data Manipulation’ in Hunters Point Shipyard Cleanup! Click here to read the article from NBC Bay Area.
December 28, 2017: End of the year message from Greenaction’s Director – Join Us in the Struggle for Healthy Communities, a Healthy Planet, and Environmental Justice!
November 13, 2017: Greenaction and Food & Water Watch release NEW report on Pollution Trading. Click on the following links to view the press release and report:
November 1, 2017: Greenaction for Health and Environmental Justice is hosting a Community Meeting to hear community perspectives on Community Resiliency in light of Rising Sea Levels, Pollution, and Gentrification. Wednesday, November 1st from 12:15 pm to 2:30pm at the Bayview Opera House, 4705 3rd Street, San Francisco. We are having this meeting as a group called “Resilient By Design/Bay Area Challenge Team will be visiting Bayview Hunters Point. Resilient By Design describes themselves as a year-long collaborative design challenge/team that is committed to developing innovative community-based solutions intended to strengthen the Bay’s resilience to sea level rise, severe storms, flooding and earthquakes. The meeting will include a Bayview Hunters Point community panel discussion defining community resiliency in Bayview with the onset of sea level rise, contaminated lands and gentrification.
October 30, 2017: Greenaction Challenges Gentrification in Bayview Hunters Point, San Francisco – Read Greenaction’s comments to SF Planning Department on India Basin Mixed Use Development. Also, check out Greenaction’s two new factsheets:
- The Radioactive & Toxic Truth about the Hunters Point Shipyard Superfund Site
- Rising Sea Levels Threaten Toxic Contamination Sites in Bayview Hunters Point
October 27, 2017: On Monday, October 30th from 6:45 – 9pm at SEIU Local 2 (209 Golden Gate Avenue, near Civic Center BART station) Greenaction will be presenting at the Occupy Forum meeting. Greenaction staff will provide updates on the Bayview Hunters Point Environmental and Climate Justice Struggles Against Pollution and Gentrification. Occupy Forum is an opportunity for open and respectful dialogue on all sides of these critically important issues!
October 20, 2017: Multi-Agency and Environmental Justice Community Workshop – The Resilient Communities Initiative – a Bay Area climate justice coalition – joins with the California Environmental Protection Agency and the Bay Conservation and Development Commission to invite you and your organization/agency to participate in an important and timely workshop with representatives of local, regional, state and federal agencies and community environmental justice leaders to discuss the threat posed by rising sea levels and climate change to the many contamination sites and landfills located along the San Francisco Bay waterfront. Click HERE for the workshop invitation.
September 30, 2017: Greenaction, Bayview Hunters Point residents, and supporters protested at the Lennar/FivePoint Shipyard Street Fair to highlight the threat posed by pollution and gentrification associated with company’s mega development at and next to the Hunter Point Naval Shipyard Superfund site. Check out the protest’s call to action HERE, the Press Release HERE, the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard Fact Sheet HERE, and Pictures from the protest HERE.
September 7, 2017: Join Greenaction & the California Environmental Justice Coalition Networking Session: Building Unity, Solidarity and People Power in the Statewide Movement for Environmental and Climate Justice Soil Not Oil Conference. The conference will take place Thursday, September 7, 2017 (4:00pm – 6:30pm) at the Richmond Memorial and Civic Center, 408 Civic Center Plaza, Richmond, CA. CLICK HERE for more info.
August 12, 13, 14th: 3rd Annual CEJC statewide gathering, Sacramento CA – get more info at CEJCoalition.org and check out the flier HERE!
July 19, 2017: Greenaction and our allies call on the Bay Conservation and Development Commission (BCDC) to adopt the staff recommendation for social equity and environmental justice to advocate for the vulnerable communities that will be most affected by sea level rise. It is a necessity that these amendments include social equity and environmental justice regulation and policy. Please read our sign on letter to the BCDC Commission Members HERE! Show your support by calling or writing the BCDC Commission Members at the following link HERE!
July 19, 2017: join us at 6pm at the Bayview Opera House for the Bayview Hunter’s Point Environmental Justice Response Task Force Meeting (4705 3rd Street, San Francisco, CA 94124) Please arrive at 5:30pm for some Dinner! This month’s BVHP EJ Task Force meeting includes the World Premiere of “Level Five,” a short play written and performed by Bayview Youth. See the Task Force Agenda here. Check out the Task Force meeting fliers here: English – Spanish and more info for the premiere performance of Level Five here.
July 2017: The Summer Newsletter is out!
Breaking News! Thursday, June 29th, 2017 at Noon – Greenaction and Hunters Point Shipyard Superfund Site Whistleblowers Exposed Radioactive Scandal and Coverup! Greenaction files Petition with Nuclear Regulatory Commission to Revoke License of Tetra Tech due to:
- Press release and Fact Sheet;
- Greenaction Petition to NRC
- Greenaction and Community Allies Demand Full Cleanup with Community Oversight
Check out our coverage:
- Watch the Greenaction & Whistleblowers Press Conference on our Facebook
- NBC Bayarea
- SF Gate
- SF Bayview
Saturday, June 24th: Attend the California Environmental Justice Coalition’s Imperial Valley-Colorado River Regional Conference. See the Flier HERE! Please note: The Meeting Place has changed back to the following: Ricochet Rec Center’s Silver Eagle Room, 450 W. Aten Rd, Imperial, CA 92251
Thursday, May 25th 2017: Breaking News! Greenaction & Environmental Law and Justice Clinic at Golden Gate University School of Law Release Report on Harmful Pollution from Under-Regulated Concrete Plants in Bayview Hunters Point and Beyond, Exposing Lax Government Oversight of Air Pollution.
Saturday, May 13, 2017: Greenaction joined White Mesa Ute Community/Ute Mountain Ute Tribe members in protest and spiritual walk against Energy Fuel’s Uranium Mill in Utah!
- Read Cortez, Colorado “Journal” story HERE!
- Read Press Release HERE!
- See Protest Poster HERE!
- Check out photo slideshow from White Mesa Ute Community/Ute Mountain Ute Tribe protest against Energy Fuels uranium mill in Utah HERE!
April 2017: See pictures from Greenaction’s White Mesa Ute Community Environmental Justice Leadership Academy HERE!
The Greenaction Spring 2017 Newsletter is HERE!
Friday, April 21, 2017: Greenaction & California EJ Coalition united dozens of groups in successful Earth Day Action for Environmental & Climate Justice
- KQED/National Public Radio
- KPFA Radio
- CBS/KPIX TV
- See Video of Rally
- Photos from Rally
- Photos from Environmental Justice/Community Briefing for USEPA Region IX
- Press Release
April 4th, 2017: The Spring newsletter has arrived, check it out HERE!
March 15, 2017: Great new article in SF Weekly by Nuala Sawyer: Bayview-Hunters Point Leads the Charge Against a Rising Tide of Pollution : As concern over environmental change rises, one neighborhood seeks to close the “climate gap. Read it HERE!
March 10, 2017: Hunters Point Shipyard Superfund toxic scandal grows! Greenaction & Bayview Hunters Point allies blast Navy & US EPA for hiring contractor who faked data to review data from Tetra Tech, the company that falsified hundreds of radioactive soil samples. Read letter to Navy and EPA and Watch and read the NBC Bay Area investigative report on this latest scandal
March 1, 2017: Read the story from the investigative reporter who brought to light the latest Hunters Point Shipyard scandal HERE!
March 8, 2017: Join Greenaction’s Executive Director, Bradley Angel, in a conversation on the fight for environmental and climate justice in urban, rural, and Indigenous communities at Stanford college, Columbae Lounge, 7-8:30 pm. Check out the flier HERE!
March 7, 2017: Check out our pictures from the Day Without a Woman protest in Oakland HERE.
February 23, 2017: Indigenous Environmental Network responds to Forced Evacuation of DAPL Resistance Camps, read HERE!
February 22, 2017: National Public Radio story on Kettleman City’s toxic water crisis: “Small community is one of many grappling with big water problem.” Read the story HERE!
February 17, 2017: You can read and listen to the story at this link: Check out the new Opinion Piece in SF Chronicle by Alena Naiden featuring Marrie Harrison HERE!
The Greenaction Winter 2017 Newsletter is HERE!
Build a wall of resistance against Trump! Greenaction joins millions in taking action for justice! Check out photos HERE!
February 18th, 2017: Saturday – Save the Date for the Ward Valley Spiritual Gathering, for more information see the flier HERE.
February 9, 2017: Join Greenaction & San Joaquin Valley Health Fund at California State Capitol – “Equity on the Mall” event featuring community leaders speaking out about health and justice issues impacting communities in the San Joaquin Valley. Get more info HERE!
January 18th, 2017: Stop Diesel Pollution & Protect Community Health! Greenaction & Bayview Hunters Point EJ Task Force gets government agencies to post “No Diesel Idling Signs” in Bayview Hunters Point. Read the story HERE from the SF Examiner!
Stand With Standing Rock Sioux Tribe
- December 3rd, 2016 – Action at 1:30 pm at Chase Bank at 1201 Market Street (corner of 8th street), San Francisco. Greenaction was joined by supporters of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.
- November 30, 2016: Greenaction joins hundreds in San Francisco march and action at Banks that invest in Dakota Access Pipeline! See photos!
- October 28, 2016: In response to government violence against defenders of the land, water and sacred sites in North Dakota, Greenaction joined 200 people in emergency protest at federal building in San Francisco in solidarity with Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s heroic effort to stop the Dakota Access Pipeline. Please see pictures HERE and HERE!
- September 2, 2016, Support Standing Rock – Support the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s action to stop the Dakota Access Pipeline that threatens the environment and sacred and cultural sites! Greenaction helps mobilize support! Learn more on how to support Standing Rock HERE and HERE! Read the solidarity letter signed by 43 organizations HERE!
- Thursday, January 26, 2017 6 pm: Emergency Protest against Dakota Access & Keystone XL Pipeline, Federal Building, 90 – 7th Street, San Francisco, CA. See the Event flier HERE!
Radioactive Scandal Erupts! Greenaction & Community Victory: Federal & State Regulators Halt New Transfers of Navy Land at the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard Superfund Site due to Falsification of Soil Samples by Tetra Tech:
- September 13, 2016: Read US EPA & State Department of Toxic Substances Control letter to the Navy HERE!
- September 13, 2016: Read Our Press release HERE!
- October 19, 2016: Read Greenaction letter to USEPA and DTSC with the community’s demands in response to the falsification of soil samples HERE!
- Media articles 2016: Read the NBC Bay Area report from September 23 HERE, INSIDE EPA’s report form September 19 HERE, the Hoodline article from September HERE, Ingleside-Excelsior Light article September 16 HERE, Bayview newspaper article September 17 HERE and San Francisco Magazine Article September 21 HERE.
- Media articles 2017: Read excellent San Francisco Magazine story from January 3 on the radioactive scandal at Hunters Point Shipyard from January 3 HERE, NBC Bay Area’s February 9th story on Radioactive Scandal at Hunters Point Naval Shipyard – and Greenaction & Community Challenge to Coverup HERE!, Read the story from the investigative reporter who brought to light the latest Hunters Point Shipyard scandal in All City News March 1, HERE! NBC Investigative Report March 10 blasting EPA for hiring contractor who faked data to review data from Tetra Tech, HERE and response letter to the Navy and EPA HERE!
- February 8th, 2017: Demand Full Cleanup of Radioactive & Toxic Contamination at Hunters Point Shipyard Superfund Site! Join Greenaction & Bayview Hunters Point residents in challenging the Navy and USEPA’s cover-up and inadequate cleanup of radioactive and toxic pollution at the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard. Read more HERE!
October 11, 2016, White Mesa, Utah: Greenaction joins Ute Mountain Ute Tribe and White Mesa tribal members in Protest March against the last uranium mill in the US located next to their reservation, on top of ancient culturally significant and sacred sites. See pictures HERE!
October 3, 2016: White Mesa Ute Community, Utah – Meeting & Film Showing about the Uranium Mill’s threat to health, environment, culture and sacred sites. Greenaction is working with the Ute Mountain Ute Tribe, tribal members and allies to mobilize opposition to the uranium mill next to the White Mesa Ute Community in southern Utah. See flier HERE for more details.
September 23, 2016: Greenaction Helps Win Legislative Victory for Environmental Justice and Civil Rights! California Assembly Bill 1787 Signed into Law, Guaranteeing Equal Time to Testify at Local Legislative Body Meetings for Non-English Speakers. Read the Bill language HERE and our Statement on the Assembly Bill passage HERE!
September 6, 2016: Victory for Greenaction & Utah residents and allies! City of Sandy, Utah ends garbage gasification incinerator proposal. Read Greenaction’s comments to Utah Division of Air Quality HERE. Read Salt Lake Tribune story HERE.
BREAKING NEWS! Latest on Historic Kettleman City Civil Rights Victory!
- September 6, 2016: Read Latest In-Depth News Coverage of Impacts of Our Historic Kettleman City Civil Rights Victory and Progress on Clean Water for Residents:
- August 16, 2016: Read the great new article about the historic Kettleman City civil rights settlement in Vida en el Valle by
- August 13, 2016: Listen to KPFA Radio coverage of our Environmental Justice Civil Rights
Settlement and Victory HERE!
- August 10, 2016: Greenaction & El Pueblo Reach Landmark Settlement with CalEPA and Dept. of Toxic Substances Control of our Title VI CIvil Rights Complaint that will benefit Kettleman City and Environmental Justice Communities across the state.
- Aug 2, 2016: Think Flint, Michigan’s water crisis is bad? Consider Kettleman City! Greenaction and El Pueblo of Kettleman City have worked tirelessly to bring attention to the fact that the residents of Kettleman City continue to suffer with toxic water despite promises from our government that clean water would soon be a reality. Check out the full story HERE!
- Check out the exposé on Kettleman City’s water by the CBS channel 5 investigative team, May 19th 2016, Part one – Part two
August 12, 2016: Inside Cal/EPA article, Advocates See Hazardous Waste Rights Pact As Model For Future Cases. Read full article HERE!
August 3, 2016: News story released featuring Marie Harrison of Greenaction. Read the San Francisco Examiner’s story on the issues of environmental racism and injustice in Bayview Hunters Point by Robyn Purchia HERE!
July 18, 2016: Greenaction & Comite Civico del Valle challenge Dept. of Toxics/CalEPA over plans to use 25 year old EIR for toxic waste landfill permit process in Westmorland, CA. Read letter HERE!
–Read letter from Greenaction & Utah groups to Utah Community Investment Board opposing plans to ship Utah coal to Oakland, CA for export. Read more HERE!
June 2, 2016: *Read the report and see photos* from Greenaction’s May 24th, 2016 “Upstream & Downstream” campaign work in Utah and Arizona with Native Nations and indigenous and environmental and climate justice groups to protect the Colorado River, its tributaries, people and sacred places. Check out the press release HERE! See poster HERE
November 25, 2015 – ‘Equity Activists, DTSC Begin Mediation Over Landfill Civil Rights Complaint‘ by Curt Barry. “Inside Cal EPA” newsletter November 25, 2015. Read HERE NOW!
October 6, 2015 – Greenaction and El Pueblo of Kettleman City Oppose Water Board’s Failure to Require Toxic Cleanup or Fines for Toxic Fuel Spill in Kettleman City – read our comments HERE.
August 26, 2015: Check out Environmental Justice Coalition for Water’s new video here!
July 22, 2015: Greenaction Launched Bayview Hunters Point Environmental Justice Response Task Force – Read more HERE!
Greenaction Unites Communities & Tribes Up and Down the Colorado River to Protect Our Rivers, Watershed, Health & Environment – Read more HERE!
70 Organizations Support Greenaction & El Pueblo of Kettleman City Civil Rights Complaint against California EPA and Department of Toxic Substances Control, Demand Justice for Kettleman City – Read letter to Federal and State officials.
Greenaction & El Pueblo Para el Aire y Agua Limpia/People for Clean Air and Water of Kettleman City file state and federal civil rights complaints against California EPA and State Department of Toxic Substances Control for racial discrimination against Kettleman City Latinos and Spanish-speakers …read the complaints here, here, and here.
Listen to Greenaction and El Pueblo of Kettleman City on Pacifica Radio’s nightly news March 26 about our civil rights complaints filed against the State Department of Toxic Substances Control and California EPA for racial discrimination.
October 14, 2014 – Kettleman City residents and Greenaction to challenge State Department of Toxic Substances Control’s denial of appeal of Chem Waste Expansion Permit….the battle is on….
Read Greenaction & El Pueblo’s press release and our original permit appeal.
California Environmental Justice Coalition Releases Recommendations to Reform & Improve the Pro-Polluter California Department of Toxic Substances Control…..read the CEJC’s comprehensive recommendations!
Dozens of urban, rural and indigenous grassroots groups have United in Solidarity for Environmental Justice!
Read/download flyers for the November 8th CEJC statewide grassroots conference — English Espanol
Read the Mission Statement (English & Spanish) and the list of the dozens of members of the California Environmental Justice Coalition
Federal Court Strikes Down Illegal Permit for Avenal Power Plant in California
Ruling Is Victory for Health, Air Quality, the Climate and Environmental Justice
Read the press release here.
August 18, 2014 at 7pm in Moab, Utah – We All Live Downstream – Stop the Proposed Green River Nuclear Power Plant
Public Meeting with Colorado River Indian Tribes tribal leaders sponsored by Greenaction, Uranium Watch and Living Rivers. See the flyer here.
California Environmental Justice Coalition formed! Urban, rural and indigenous groups unite in new coalition. See Members of the California Environmental Justice Coalition and Mission statement of the California Environmental Justice Coalition.
Read Greenaction Comments to Department of Toxic Substances Control Opposing Draft Permit for Expansion of Chemical Waste Management’s Violation-Plagued Kettleman Hills Hazardous Waste Landfill here.
Greenaction, West County Toxics Coalition & Allies Block Entrance to Kinder Morgan LLC Railyard in Richmond, CA to protest shipments of explosive crude oil by rail through our communities
Action: Save the Green & Colorado Rivers from Radioactive Contamination!
Blue Castle Holdings wants to build a 2-unit nuclear reactor near the Green River and the City of Green River, Utah, and store the highly radioactive nuclear fuel rods in an area susceptible to flash floods. This project risks the drinking and agricultural water for tens of millions of people. TAKE ACTION NOW!