We are a multiracial grassroots organization that works with low-income and working class urban, rural, and indigenous communities to fight environmental racism and injustice and build a clean, healthy and just future for all. We mobilize community power to win victories that change government and corporate policies and practices to protect health and to promote environmental, social and economic justice.
Updates and Events:
July 16, 2018: BAYVIEW HUNTERS POINT- Community Protest Delays Start of State’s Controversial Scanning as State Officials Hide Out inside Lennar Corporation’s “Welcome Center” and Refuse to Speak to Community Members CLICK HERE to read press release.
July 9, 2018: Click here to read GREENACTION’S SUMMER 2018 Newsletter!
July 9, 2018: BREAKING NEWS! Testing plan released for residential site at Hunters Point Shipyard does not include homes. Click here to read more.
July 6, 2018:Greenaction & Bayview Hunters Point Residents Denounce State’s Refusal to Conduct Comprehensive Soil Sampling for Radioactive and Toxic Contaminants of Soil Under Homes. Click here to read press release.
July 5, 2018: BREAKING NEWS! Scott Pruitt Resigns!
Greenaction for Health and Environmental Justice Celebrates Scott Pruitt’s Resignation and Issues a Call to Action against his replacement, Coal Industry Lobbyist Andrew Wheeler.
PROTEST! CALL TO ACTION!
Scott Pruitt Not Welcome in San Francisco!
On Friday, June 29th, thanks to information provided by USEPA whistleblowers who care about the environment, science, and justice, Greenaction confirmed that Scott Pruitt, head of the USEPA who is working to destroy environmental protections, is planning on sneaking into San Francisco. Unfortunately for the Trump and Pruitt gang, we found out and will be there to raise our voices in protest!
THE PEOPLE DEMAND ENVIRONMENTAL & CLIMATE JUSTICE!
On June 13, at 6pm we are having an Emergency Community Meeting for Bayview Hunters Point in response to last month’s public hearing on the massive radiological fraud at the Hunters Point Superfund site. Click here to see flyer.
On May 19, 2018 The White Mesa Ute Community/Ute Mountain Ute Tribe Concerned Community in Utah held a Spiritual Walk and Protest against Energy Fuels Uranium Mill, the last operating mill in the nation.
Bayview Hunters Point and Treasure Island,
San Francisco, CA:
- CLICK HERE to see Greenaction’s petition to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) to revoke Tetra Tech’s license and all the supporting documentation.
- May 14th, 2018: Check out SF Examiner article on the Public Hearing at SF City Hall! Read Now
- May 6, 2018: Check out excellent new media coverage of Greenaction’s work exposing the fraud at the Hunters Point Shipyard Superfund Site. See SF Curbed story about Parcel A where hundreds of new homeowners live.
- May 4, 2018: BREAKING NEWS! Victory for Justice! Former Tetra Tech Supervisors Sentenced to Jail for Fraud at Hunters Point Shipyard Superfund Site. Read the U.S. Department of Justice’s announcement about the sentencing AND Check out the recent TV coverage.
Laytonville, CA: Greenaction supports Wailaki & Cahto tribal members fighting for relocation from toxic-contaminated reservation.
LISTEN to learn more about the preliminary results for Laytonville’s community health study that shows “people in Laytonville are 5x more likely to have cancer there than residents elsewhere in California”
SEE photos and videos of Laytonville Community. (Coming Soon!)
Greenaction and El Pueblo of Kettleman City Demand State Agencies Comply with Civil Rights Settlement
On March 1st Greenaction & El Pueblo of Kettleman City Challenged State Agencies for Major Violation of Title VI Civil Rights Settlement.
To read civil rights complaint CLICK HERE.
CLICK HERE to read the Title VI Civil Rights settlement signed in August 2016 by Greenaction, El Pueblo, Cal EPA and DTSC.
CLICK HERE to read the “Notice of Non-Compliance” letter to CalEPA and Department of Toxic Substances Control for violating the Settlement and the Law.
Ward Valley, CA: Greenaction Joins Native Nations to Celebrate Victory and 20th Anniversary of 113 Day Occupation of Proposed Nuclear Waste Dump Site. Click here to see photos.
March 1st, 2018: New blog post!!
On February 12th Niria Garcia joined the Greenaction team as the new Community Organizer and Youth Program Coordinator! To read her blog post click on the link below
March 15th, 2018
March 12th, 2018: BRAWLEY, CA
Imperial Valley Residents, Comite Civico del Valle & Greenaction demand full cleanup of Chevron’s former PureGro toxic site in Brawley, CA.
Click here to read Greenaction for Health and Environmental Justice comments to DTSC critiquing their inadequate “cleanup” plan.
February 26th, 2018: WARD VALLEY, CA
On February 24th Greenaction Joined the Fort Mojave Indian Tribe and other Native Nations & Allies to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the occupation and victory that saved Ward Valley, the desert tortoise, sacred sites and the Colorado River from a proposed nuclear waste dump. CLICK HERE to see more pictures
BAYVIEW HUNTERS POINT
January 31st, 2018: Greenaction & Community Press Conference on the Hunters Point Superfund Site Fraud and Coverup – 5 PM – 451 Galvez Street, Bayview Hunters Point, San Francisco – Press Advisory
Recent media covering the Radioactive & Toxic Scandal at Hunters Point Shipyard Superfund Site:
January 26th, 2018: BREAKING NEWS!!!
Federal government now admits almost half of toxic cleanup at the shipyard is questionable or faked! Click here to read article
If you are in the Bay Area, next Wednesday January 31st please join Greenaction and residents at the Navy “Community Meeting and Open House” to challenge government agencies and Lennar/Five Points over the fraudulent clean up. The meeting is at 451 Galvez Avenue, SF and starts at 5:30. Greenaction will be there at 5 pm to give out the truth to people attending. Join us for health and justice!
January 18th, 2018: BREAKING NEWS!!! Navy Finds More Evidence of ‘Potential Data Manipulation’ in Hunters Point Shipyard Cleanup! Click here to read the article from NBC Bay Area.
November 13, 2017: Greenaction and Food & Water Watch release NEW report on Pollution Trading. Click on the following links to view the press release and report:
October 30, 2017: Greenaction Challenges Gentrification in Bayview Hunters Point, San Francisco – Read Greenaction’s comments to SF Planning Department on India Basin Mixed Use Development. Also, check out Greenaction’s two new factsheets:
- The Radioactive & Toxic Truth about the Hunters Point Shipyard Superfund Site
- Rising Sea Levels Threaten Toxic Contamination Sites in Bayview Hunters Point
September 30, 2017: Greenaction, Bayview Hunters Point residents, and supporters protested at the Lennar/FivePoint Shipyard Street Fair to highlight the threat posed by pollution and gentrification associated with company’s mega development at and next to the Hunter Point Naval Shipyard Superfund site. Check out the protest’s call to action HERE, the Press Release HERE, the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard Fact Sheet HERE, and Pictures from the protest HERE
Breaking News! Thursday, June 29th, 2017 at Noon – Greenaction and Hunters Point Shipyard Superfund Site Whistleblowers Exposed Radioactive Scandal and Coverup! Greenaction files Petition with Nuclear Regulatory Commission to Revoke License of Tetra Tech due to:
- Press release and Fact Sheet;
- Greenaction Petition to NRC
- Greenaction and Community Allies Demand Full Cleanup with Community Oversight
Check out our coverage:
- Watch the Greenaction & Whistleblowers Press Conference on our Facebook
- NBC Bayarea
- SF Gate
- SF Bayview
Thursday, May 25th 2017: Breaking News! Greenaction & Environmental Law and Justice Clinic at Golden Gate University School of Law Release Report on Harmful Pollution from Under-Regulated Concrete Plants in Bayview Hunters Point and Beyond, Exposing Lax Government Oversight of Air Pollution.
Saturday, May 13, 2017: Greenaction joined White Mesa Ute Community/Ute Mountain Ute Tribe members in protest and spiritual walk against Energy Fuel’s Uranium Mill in Utah!
- Read Cortez, Colorado “Journal” story HERE!
- Read Press Release HERE!
- See Protest Poster HERE!
- Check out photo slideshow from White Mesa Ute Community/Ute Mountain Ute Tribe protest against Energy Fuels uranium mill in Utah HERE!
April 2017: See pictures from Greenaction’s White Mesa Ute Community Environmental Justice Leadership Academy HERE!
Friday, April 21, 2017: Greenaction & California EJ Coalition united dozens of groups in successful Earth Day Action for Environmental & Climate Justice
- KQED/National Public Radio
- KPFA Radio
- CBS/KPIX TV
- See Video of Rally
- Photos from Rally
- Photos from Environmental Justice/Community Briefing for USEPA Region IX
- Press Release
March 10, 2017: Hunters Point Shipyard Superfund toxic scandal grows! Greenaction & Bayview Hunters Point allies blast Navy & US EPA for hiring contractor who faked data to review data from Tetra Tech, the company that falsified hundreds of radioactive soil samples. Read letter to Navy and EPA and Watch and read the NBC Bay Area investigative report on this latest scandal
March 1, 2017: Read the story from the investigative reporter who brought to light the latest Hunters Point Shipyard scandal HERE!
March 8, 2017: Join Greenaction’s Executive Director, Bradley Angel, in a conversation on the fight for environmental and climate justice in urban, rural, and Indigenous communities at Stanford college, Columbae Lounge, 7-8:30 pm. Check out the flier HERE!
February 23, 2017: Indigenous Environmental Network responds to Forced Evacuation of DAPL Resistance Camps, read HERE!
February 22, 2017: National Public Radio story on Kettleman City’s toxic water crisis: “Small community is one of many grappling with big water problem.” Read the story HERE!
February 17, 2017: You can read and listen to the story at this link: Check out the new Opinion Piece in SF Chronicle by Alena Naiden featuring Marrie Harrison HERE!
The Greenaction Winter 2017 Newsletter is HERE!
Build a wall of resistance against Trump! Greenaction joins millions in taking action for justice! Check out photos HERE!
February 18th, 2017: Saturday – Save the Date for the Ward Valley Spiritual Gathering, for more information see the flier HERE.
February 9, 2017: Join Greenaction & San Joaquin Valley Health Fund at California State Capitol – “Equity on the Mall” event featuring community leaders speaking out about health and justice issues impacting communities in the San Joaquin Valley. Get more info HERE!
January 18th, 2017: Stop Diesel Pollution & Protect Community Health! Greenaction & Bayview Hunters Point EJ Task Force gets government agencies to post “No Diesel Idling Signs” in Bayview Hunters Point. Read the story HERE from the SF Examiner!
Stand With Standing Rock Sioux Tribe
- December 3rd, 2016 – Action at 1:30 pm at Chase Bank at 1201 Market Street (corner of 8th street), San Francisco. Greenaction was joined by supporters of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.
- November 30, 2016: Greenaction joins hundreds in San Francisco march and action at Banks that invest in Dakota Access Pipeline! See photos!
- October 28, 2016: In response to government violence against defenders of the land, water and sacred sites in North Dakota, Greenaction joined 200 people in emergency protest at federal building in San Francisco in solidarity with Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s heroic effort to stop the Dakota Access Pipeline. Please see pictures HERE and HERE!
- September 2, 2016, Support Standing Rock – Support the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s action to stop the Dakota Access Pipeline that threatens the environment and sacred and cultural sites! Greenaction helps mobilize support! Learn more on how to support Standing Rock HERE and HERE! Read the solidarity letter signed by 43 organizations HERE!
- Thursday, January 26, 2017 6 pm: Emergency Protest against Dakota Access & Keystone XL Pipeline, Federal Building, 90 – 7th Street, San Francisco, CA. See the Event flier HERE!
Radioactive Scandal Erupts! Greenaction & Community Victory: Federal & State Regulators Halt New Transfers of Navy Land at the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard Superfund Site due to Falsification of Soil Samples by Tetra Tech:
- September 13, 2016: Read US EPA & State Department of Toxic Substances Control letter to the Navy HERE!
- September 13, 2016: Read Our Press release HERE!
- October 19, 2016: Read Greenaction letter to USEPA and DTSC with the community’s demands in response to the falsification of soil samples HERE!
- Media articles 2016: Read the NBC Bay Area report from September 23 HERE, INSIDE EPA’s report form September 19 HERE, the Hoodline article from September HERE, Ingleside-Excelsior Light article September 16 HERE, Bayview newspaper article September 17 HERE and San Francisco Magazine Article September 21 HERE.
- Media articles 2017: Read excellent San Francisco Magazine story from January 3 on the radioactive scandal at Hunters Point Shipyard from January 3 HERE, NBC Bay Area’s February 9th story on Radioactive Scandal at Hunters Point Naval Shipyard – and Greenaction & Community Challenge to Coverup HERE!, Read the story from the investigative reporter who brought to light the latest Hunters Point Shipyard scandal in All City News March 1, HERE! NBC Investigative Report March 10 blasting EPA for hiring contractor who faked data to review data from Tetra Tech, HERE and response letter to the Navy and EPA HERE!
- February 8th, 2017: Demand Full Cleanup of Radioactive & Toxic Contamination at Hunters Point Shipyard Superfund Site! Join Greenaction & Bayview Hunters Point residents in challenging the Navy and USEPA’s cover-up and inadequate cleanup of radioactive and toxic pollution at the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard. Read more HERE!
October 11, 2016, White Mesa, Utah: Greenaction joins Ute Mountain Ute Tribe and White Mesa tribal members in Protest March against the last uranium mill in the US located next to their reservation, on top of ancient culturally significant and sacred sites. See pictures HERE!
September 23, 2016: Greenaction Helps Win Legislative Victory for Environmental Justice and Civil Rights! California Assembly Bill 1787 Signed into Law, Guaranteeing Equal Time to Testify at Local Legislative Body Meetings for Non-English Speakers. Read the Bill language HERE and our Statement on the Assembly Bill passage HERE!
September 6, 2016: Victory for Greenaction & Utah residents and allies! City of Sandy, Utah ends garbage gasification incinerator proposal. Read Greenaction’s comments to Utah Division of Air Quality HERE. Read Salt Lake Tribune story HERE.
BREAKING NEWS! Latest on Historic Kettleman City Civil Rights Victory!
- September 6, 2016: Read Latest In-Depth News Coverage of Impacts of Our Historic Kettleman City Civil Rights Victory and Progress on Clean Water for Residents:
- August 16, 2016: Read the great new article about the historic Kettleman City civil rights settlement in Vida en el Valle by
- August 13, 2016: Listen to KPFA Radio coverage of our Environmental Justice Civil Rights
Settlement and Victory HERE!
- August 10, 2016: Greenaction & El Pueblo Reach Landmark Settlement with CalEPA and Dept. of Toxic Substances Control of our Title VI CIvil Rights Complaint that will benefit Kettleman City and Environmental Justice Communities across the state.
- Aug 2, 2016: Think Flint, Michigan’s water crisis is bad? Consider Kettleman City! Greenaction and El Pueblo of Kettleman City have worked tirelessly to bring attention to the fact that the residents of Kettleman City continue to suffer with toxic water despite promises from our government that clean water would soon be a reality. Check out the full story HERE!
- Check out the exposé on Kettleman City’s water by the CBS channel 5 investigative team, May 19th 2016, Part one – Part two
August 12, 2016: Inside Cal/EPA article, Advocates See Hazardous Waste Rights Pact As Model For Future Cases. Read full article HERE!
August 3, 2016: News story released featuring Marie Harrison of Greenaction. Read the San Francisco Examiner’s story on the issues of environmental racism and injustice in Bayview Hunters Point by Robyn Purchia HERE!
July 18, 2016: Greenaction & Comite Civico del Valle challenge Dept. of Toxics/CalEPA over plans to use 25 year old EIR for toxic waste landfill permit process in Westmorland, CA. Read letter HERE!
–Read letter from Greenaction & Utah groups to Utah Community Investment Board opposing plans to ship Utah coal to Oakland, CA for export. Read more HERE!
June 2, 2016: *Read the report and see photos* from Greenaction’s May 24th, 2016 “Upstream & Downstream” campaign work in Utah and Arizona with Native Nations and indigenous and environmental and climate justice groups to protect the Colorado River, its tributaries, people and sacred places. Check out the press release HERE! See poster HERE
November 25, 2015 – ‘Equity Activists, DTSC Begin Mediation Over Landfill Civil Rights Complaint‘ by Curt Barry. “Inside Cal EPA” newsletter November 25, 2015. Read HERE NOW
July 22, 2015: Greenaction Launched Bayview Hunters Point Environmental Justice Response Task Force – Read more HERE!
Greenaction Unites Communities & Tribes Up and Down the Colorado River to Protect Our Rivers, Watershed, Health & Environment – Read more HERE!
70 Organizations Support Greenaction & El Pueblo of Kettleman City Civil Rights Complaint against California EPA and Department of Toxic Substances Control, Demand Justice for Kettleman City – Read letter to Federal and State officials.
Greenaction & El Pueblo Para el Aire y Agua Limpia/People for Clean Air and Water of Kettleman City file state and federal civil rights complaints against California EPA and State Department of Toxic Substances Control for racial discrimination against Kettleman City Latinos and Spanish-speakers …read the complaints here, here, and here.
Listen to Greenaction and El Pueblo of Kettleman City on Pacifica Radio’s nightly news March 26 about our civil rights complaints filed against the State Department of Toxic Substances Control and California EPA for racial discrimination.
October 14, 2014 – Kettleman City residents and Greenaction to challenge State Department of Toxic Substances Control’s denial of appeal of Chem Waste Expansion Permit….the battle is on….
Read Greenaction & El Pueblo’s press release and our original permit appeal.
California Environmental Justice Coalition Releases Recommendations to Reform & Improve the Pro-Polluter California Department of Toxic Substances Control…..read the CEJC’s comprehensive recommendations!
Dozens of urban, rural and indigenous grassroots groups have United in Solidarity for Environmental Justice!
Read/download flyers for the November 8th CEJC statewide grassroots conference — English Espanol
Read the Mission Statement (English & Spanish) and the list of the dozens of members of the California Environmental Justice Coalition
Federal Court Strikes Down Illegal Permit for Avenal Power Plant in California
Ruling Is Victory for Health, Air Quality, the Climate and Environmental Justice
Read the press release here
California Environmental Justice Coalition formed! Urban, rural and indigenous groups unite in new coalition. See Members of the California Environmental Justice Coalition and Mission statement of the California Environmental Justice Coalition.
Read Greenaction Comments to Department of Toxic Substances Control Opposing Draft Permit for Expansion of Chemical Waste Management’s Violation-Plagued Kettleman Hills Hazardous Waste Landfill here.
Greenaction, West County Toxics Coalition & Allies Block Entrance to Kinder Morgan LLC Railyard in Richmond, CA to protest shipments of explosive crude oil by rail through our communities