The Imperial Valley lies in the California counties of Imperial and Riverside. It is located in southeastern Southern California, on the border with Mexico. The Imperial Valley is bordered by the Colorado River to the east and, in part, the Salton Sea to the west. Farther west lies the San Diego and Imperial County border. To the north is the Coachella Valley region of Riverside County. Its economy is based on agriculture.
Campaigns and Programs
Stop Dumping on Westmorland
A company called Clean Harbors operates the hazardous waste landfill in Westmorland, a small predominantly Latino farmworker community. The landfill has operated for decades, but is currently closed due to limited capacity and “market conditions”. The company is seeking permits to begin full scale operations again. The current permit was issued decades ago in 1996. All three hazardous waste landfills in California are located in Spanish speaking farmworker communities, and Greenaction is well aware this is no coincidence. We are working with our ally Comite Civico del Valle, an Imperial Valley grassroots organization, to oppose new permits for this dump.
More information on Clear Harbors can be found on the Department of Toxics Substances Control website.
Clean Up the Pure Gro Pesticide Contamination Site in Brawley
Greenaction is working with residents and Comite Civico del Valle to demand that this contamination site be promptly and safely cleaned up.
- June 23, 2020: “Clean Harbors” to close their toxic waste landfill in farmworker community of Westmorland, California. Read the press release from Greenaction for Health and Environmental Justice and our community partner Comite Civico del Valle.
- December 3, 2019: Comite Civico del Valle & Greenaction Comments on DTSC Draft Remedial Action Plan
- Greenaction & Comite Civico del Valle’s letter to DTSC
- Greenaction comments on DTSC Draft Remedial Action Plan for PureGro Brawley
- Announcements and Upcoming Events
- Picture Gallery